Best Ever Enchilada Sauce Recipe (Tex Mex Chili Gravy)
Best EVER Enchilada Sauce Recipe. Also known as Tex Mex Chili Gravy. Thisquick and easy recipe comes together in about 10 minutes. It’s bold andflavorful and will give your enchiladas an authentic taste!This isn’t just any enchilada sauce y’all. This is certified Tex Mex ChiliGravy. This sauce is exactly what you will find smothering enchiladas in thegreat state of Texas. Designed to be a combination of gravy that could befound on a steak and a traditional Mexican enchilada sauce, this Chili Gravyis a cornerstone to Tex Mex cooking. Serve these enchiladas alongside someCharro Beans and Mexican Rice for a complete Tex Mex experience.If you don’t have any enchilada sauce on hand or you’re wanting to elevateyour cooking this recipe is for you! And you will never go back to using thecanned version again!
Roasted Tomatillo Enchilada Sauce
* Place the oil or butter in a nonstick saucepan and heat over medium heat. * When it’s heated, add the flour and mix well to create a roux. Stir for a few minutes until the flour is cooked and forms a paste. * Add the stock (or the ingredients for the stock) into the saucepan and bring it to a simmer and let it thicken. * Stir in the salsa verde and heat through. * Add salt to taste (and extra stock if you need to thin it out).“This website provides approximate nutrition information for convenience andas a courtesy only. Nutrition data is gathered primarily from the USDA FoodComposition Database, whenever available, or otherwise other onlinecalculators.”The charred tomatillos and pablanos with that great smoky flavour, the extraheat you get from the jalapenos, the tang of lime juice, the creaminess ofmilk, and the spices all come together in this flavour-packed homemade greenenchilada sauce that’s fantastic on your enchiladas or pork carnitas or anyMexican dish that’ll be perked up with some sauce.If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to subscribe for new (and free) recipesby entering your email address on the side bar (and get all these recipesdelivered straight to your inbox), so you don’t miss out on a thing. You canfind me on FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, PINTEREST, YOU TUBE and GOOGLE-PLUStoo.I’ll be sharing my recipe over at –FoodieFriDIY | Friday Favorites | Fiesta Fridays | Saucy Saturdays
How to Store Enchilada Sauce:
* This enchilada sauce can be stored in the fridge 5-7 days. Just give the jar a shake before using. * To freeze this enchilada sauce: add to freezer resealable bags, lay flat in the freezer on a baking sheet. Once frozen, you can easily stack the bags. Can be frozen for up to 3 months. To thaw, place the enchilada sauce into the refrigerator overnight. Reheat the sauce in a skillet.
More Recipes You’ll Love…
Authentic Beef EnchiladasAuthentic Beef Enchiladas. This easy ground beef enchilada recipe is loadedwith juicy ground beef, melty cheese, and drenched with a homemade Tex MexEnchilada Sauce.These ground beef enchiladas are easy to make and loaded up with authenticflavor that will make you think youâre eating at your favorite Mexicanrestaurant! Itâs all thanks to using a homemade taco seasoning on the groundbeef and a homemade enchilada sauce.
* oil/fat– my preference is to use butter. However, you could use a corn or vegetable oil. Olive oil tends to have a strong flavor and I avoid it in this recipe.Â * All purpose flour– use to thicken the sauce slightly. * Spices– a mixture of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin, and Chile powder. My all time favorite chile powder is Gebhardts, which originated in Texas in the 1800. If you can’t find it in your local markets, Amazon does sell it. (affiliate link) * Broth– my preference for this sauce is to use beef broth. However, some people say the flavor is too much using the beef. You can easily substitute with a chicken or even a vegetable broth if you prefer. Just ensure you are using a low sodium. If you are using a regular broth you will need to cut out the salt in the recipe and salt according to taste if needed. * Tomato paste– just a small amount, it adds to the thickness of the sauce.
How to make beef enchiladas:
* Cook the ground beef until no longer pink. Drain the grease and then sprinkle the meat with the homemade taco seasoning and stir with tomato sauce. * Make the homemade enchilada sauce, which is made by creating a roux with oil, flour, seasonings, and then stirring in broth. * Fry the corn tortillas briefly in hot oil, this will help the flavor of the corn come out in the enchilada and also help make it so that your tortillas hold up and donât rip or break. * Dip the tortillas into the enchilada sauce. * Add your filling, the ground beef and shredded Monterey Jack cheese. * Roll the tortillas and add to a baking dish. Top with enchiladas with remaining sauce and sprinkle with extra shredded cheese. * Bake the enchiladas for about 10 minutes at 350 degrees just until the cheese is melted.
How to make Homemade Enchilada Sauce:
1. Melt butter in a large saucepan. 2. Create a roux: Sprinkle in the flour and cook for several minutes. 3. Season: Add in the spices. 4. Pour in the beef broth and add the tomato paste, stir while heating until sauce is thickened.”